BIA will be releasing results of a newly designed survey including local, and now multi-location/regional and national, businesses that target local audiences in their advertising and marketing.
The new survey series, Survey of Advertising and Marketing – SAM, replaces our long-running survey series Local Commerce Monitor™ (LCM) that surveyed small and medium businesses (SMBs), or firms with less than 100 employees.
Adding in larger local, national and regional businesses to our SAM research provides much broader and deeper insights into the local ad marketplace. By BIA’s estimate, regional and national marketers targeting local audiences account for nearly twice as much paid media spending as SMBs, $116.4 billion versus $59.2 billion. SAM tracks what all types of businesses are doing now and in the future for advertising and marketing spending across more than 50 media ad platforms.
What’s New in SAM?
- Large Businesses Included: The biggest change with our new advertising survey is the expanded reach that includes larger businesses (i.e., those with over 100 employees). Now, the survey will deliver meaningful insights to media companies who target larger advertisers who often also have a higher dollar spend.
- Larger Sample Size: Our sample size increased from 1,000 to 1,500 to increase the representation of both large and small businesses in our sample and to support deeper dives into the data.
- Enhanced Analysis: The low cost of digital is continually changing what businesses spend on advertising vs. promoting their business. The SAM survey separates advertising usage and spend from promotional items to give our clients a better understanding of where dollars are going. The survey also offers better understanding of traditional and digital ad use and spend.
- New questions: In addition to the sample and ad tracking included this year: audience targeting, co-op advertising funds, video and more.
- Usable Data: SAM includes more data on key local industries like auto and finance and on the ad use and spend by franchisees.
- Trending: SAM includes trending for the SMB segment.
What’s the Same in SAM?
We will continue to provide actionable insights and reports in our online store and in our BIA ADVantage, BIA’s local market intelligence dashboard.
LCM has been a trusted resource for local media and tech companies selling to small businesses for 21 waves and SAM will continue to be a valuable resource detailing what the “buy side” of the marketplace is considering. We listened to our users, analyzed advertising and marketing trends, and made key adjustments accordingly
When is SAM Coming?
SAM will be coming in mid-September 2018 and all early buyers and BIA ADVantage subscribers will be invited to attend a private analyst briefing that will offer insights and analysis. Contact Celine Matthiessen firstname.lastname@example.org for the opportunity to pre-purchase SAM for a special price or click here to sign up to be notified when the survey is available.